Iron Cross 1st Class
Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse
The Iron Cross was established in 1813 in Breslau and given to soldiers in the wars against Napoleon. The Iron Cross was reauthorized in 1914 by Emperor Wilhelm II when the First World War started (see the WWI U-boat decoration).
The Iron Cross, the most famous German war decoration, was awarded in several classes:
The Großkreuz was only awarded once, to Hermann Göring in July 1940.
Das Eiserne Kreuz 1. Klasse
The Iron Cross 1st Class was worn on the left side of jacket.
The first EK 1 awarded to the U-Boat-force by order of the CinC Kriegsmarine went to the commander of U-29 on 18 September 1939 (delivered when the boat arrived in port on 26 Sep). Successful commanders often received both Iron Crosses after their first patrol, like Kptlt. Kentrat (U-74) and Kptlt. Mützelburg (U-203).
Bar to the Iron Cross (Spange zum Eisernen Kreuz)
The Bar to the Iron Cross was used to indicate the award of the 1st or 2nd class Iron Cross to someone who won the same decoration in the First World War. The bar was worn clipped to the uniform jacket above the 1st class 1914 medal, or in the case of the 2nd class, on the ribbon.
Decorations ordered by last name
See this list sorted by date
459 U-boat Commanders decorated with Iron Cross 1st Class (Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse) located.
+ Indicates the Officer died in the war.
* Commands held indicates the U-boat commands held by this officer before award date. In some cases the officer had not taken command his first boat yet or was not even in the U-boat force yet.
Note: This listing is still being compiled and some recipients might be missing.