U-boat patrols

Patrol info for U-667

DepartureArrival / FateDuration
14 Sep 1943St. Nazaire16 Sep 1943St. Nazaire3 days
18 Sep 1943St. Nazaire11 Oct 1943St. Nazaire24 days
27 days
Sometimes patrols were split into several 'legs', for resupply and other matters.


Officers *

Kptlt. Heinrich-Andreas Schroeteler

Daily positions, sinkings and allied attacks during the patrol of U-667

We have daily positions for all 27 days on this patrol.

Ships hit by U-667 during this patrol

General Events during this patrol

We have no events listed for this patrol.

Add more events! If you know of an interesting event either missing from this date or an upcoming event that you'd like to share please contact us. We continuously update these databases.

Attacks on U-667 during this patrol

24 Sep 1943
Shortly before dawn the boat fought off a Leigh Light attack by a British Wellington bomber (179 Sqn RAF/P, pilot Sgt A.W. Ellis) off Portugal. Neither side suffered any damage, but U-667 was on her way to the Mediterranean and the Allied aircraft were now alerted.

In the evening of the 24th an attack by another Wellington (RAF Sqdn 179/D, pilot F/O A. Chiltern) caused some minor damage.

(Sources: Franks/Zimmerman)

25 Sep 1943
At 03.09 hours, the boat fought off an attack from a British Wellington (179 Sqn RAF/Q, pilot F/S R.W. Dix). Its depth charges hung up due to flak damage and further hits in the port engine and starboard wing forced the aircraft to return to base.

At 10.35 hours, another Wellington (Sqdn 179/R, pilot F/S D.J. McMahon) dropped six depth charges that fell close.

(Sources: Franks/Zimmerman)

25 Sep 1943
Aircraft attack, aircraft shot down:
British Wellington Mk.XIV (179 Sqn RAF/F, pilot S/L G.H.M. Riddell)

22.18 hrs, SW of Cape St Vincent, Portugal: After being hit by flak while dropping depth charges, the Wellington was seen to fly away with the Leigh Light still switched on, and later an SOS message was heard. It did not return from patrol and was reported missing with its crew of six.

(Sources: Franks/Zimmerman)

26 Sep 1943
10.40 hrs, 75 miles SW of Cape St Vincent: the boat was located and attacked by yet another Wellington (179 Sqn RAF/X, pilot F/O S.H. Nicholson) searching for the missing Wellington, but the depth charges exploded astern.

The Germans sighted two more aircraft shortly afterwards identified as Beaufighters, but which were in fact Hudsons. Hudsons AE505 (233 Sqn RAF/T, F/O A.G. Frandson) and EW924 (48 Sqn RAF/N, F/O E.L. Ashbury) strafed and fired rockets, but were both forced to return to base by flak damage. U-667 was finally forced to give up her attempt to enter the Mediterranean and returned to base with extensive damage. Over two days the boat had endured no less than eight air attacks, shooting down one attacker and damaging three others.

(Sources: Franks/Zimmerman)

About this data
If you believe we have missed an attack on a German U-boat in this listing please let us know.

See all patrols for U-667

* These are officers that later became commanders themselves.

Return to U-boat Patrols main page