Soviet Steam merchant
|Completed||1912 - Flensburger Schiffsbau-Ges., Flensburg|
|Owner||Dalnevostochnoe Gosudarstvennoe Morskoe Parokhodstvo (DGMP), Wladiwostok|
|Date of attack||6 Sep 1943||Nationality: Soviet|
|Fate||Sunk by U-636 (Hans Hildebrandt)|
|Position||72° 35'N, 80° 36'E - Grid AS 4942|
|Complement||? men (2 dead and ? survivors).|
|Route||Dudinka (6 Sep) - Dikson|
|History||Completed in October 1912 as German Ramses for DDG Kosmos, Hamburg. 1922 renamed Pfalz for Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen. 1933 sold to the Sovietunion and renamed Tiflis. 1937 renamed Tbilisi. |
|Notes on event|
At 18.15 hours on 6 Sep 1943 the Tbilisi (Master V.K. Subbotin) struck a mine laid on 23 August by U-636 off Yenisejskij Zaliv, about 5 miles west of Krestovyj Island in the Enisej estuary, Kara Sea. The explosion occured between #2 and #3 holds, downed the foremast and began flooding the engine room. Two crew members were killed. The master tried to beach the ship, but she sank in 72°22´4N/80°33´1E on a depth of 13 metres. The ship was en route together with the Soviet steam merchant Svijaga, escorted by T-896 (No 42).
If you can help us with any additional information on this vessel then please contact us.